What is raw partition?
1. I’ve been using my 60 GB HDD for 3 years. Suddenly it appears my HDD partition becomes RAW.
2. My flash disk just got inaccessible with a message “Disk/drive is not formatted. Do you want to format now?” When I check properties, it shows it has RAW file system with 0 bytes free/unused space. So I tried to format it while Windows said there’s no disk in the drive.
From the above 2 examples, we can know that a raw partition or hard drive is one which does not contain a recognized partition and therefore will not show up as a drive letter on computer. It is an error that the partition or drive encounters.
When the drive or partition becomes, it usually reports an error as below:
1. Disk/Drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?
2. The disk in drive X: is not formatted.
3. The type of the system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drive.
4. Sector not found
Common causes to raw drive or partition are malicious virus infection or a system crash, or FAT allocation table or master boot sector etc.
How to recover raw partition or drive?
To recover raw partition or raw drive will ask for up to date searching technology. This is what some third-party data recovery programs were developed for. Here in this article, I would recommend a very powerful data recovery program—Tenorshare Data Recovery Professional, to help you recover raw partition and recover data from raw partition.
Here’s how to recover raw partition with Tenorshare Data Recovery Professional.
1. Download Tenorshare Data Recovery Professional and then install, run it on your PC.
2. Select “Partition Recovery” in the left column of the interface. Then choose the target partition and click “Recover Partition Table” next. (Note: you cannot recover dynamic disk with Partition Recovery.)
3. The partition files will be listed in the taskbar automatically. Next, simply click “Recover”. After that, select a path for the recovered files, then click “OK” to complete recovery.
4. Now it comes to the last step, then click “Restart” to reboot your PC.
So now you have got all your files from the raw partition or drive. Then the next step is to format the raw partition or drive. That’s all for raw partition recovery.
One more tip: When you find the partition or drive shown RAW, you are highly recommended not to format the partition or write new data into the partition, otherwise it would become complicated and difficult to recover lost files from raw partition.